Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Joy of Scar Tissue

My grandpa used to tell me stories of all the stupid shit he did as a kid, and got away with most of it. His stories never had a point to them, no lesson because he had caught me doing something very similar. No, he was bragging. And he did a lot of stupid shit, I already posted about his riding a bull on the ranch, but he also got his first speeding ticket at eleven years old, and had once torched a tree with a flaming arrow because he was trying to shoot a crow. After he died earlier this year, it dawned on me that I, too, have done a ton of stupid shit in my life. I jumped off the roof of our mobile home at nine years old, not because I thought I was the distant relative of Kal-El that had also survived his exploding home world after reading those comic books. No, I knew that was all made up, I thought I was a goddamn mutant ninja turtle. Who knew that their super powers kicked in with the whole teenager bit of their story line? And with that jump off the roof, which is only about fifteen feet off the ground, I didn't break anything. No bones, no property damage, hell I didn't even get a scratch or bump on my non-turtle mutated body. That stupid ass idea just affected my young psyche, it scared the ever living shit out of me to never do that again. Not on purpose anyway. And to this date, I have not jumped from the roof of any mobile homes, I did from the roof of a house I was working on but that was because I forgot to secure the ladder and the wind blew the damn thing down, leaving me with just that one option of jumping. I refused to call the fire department to come rescue my ass off a roof, the laughing would never stop in this damn little town. Also, I did not break any part of my body then either. Score one more for that one day they taught us gymnastic tumbling in elementary school, they told me to remember to “tuck and roll” and I have never forgotten. I fell out of a moving golf cart in college, more than once... okay, five times, because I was goofing around, and once again that tumbling lesson kicked in, no injuries.
I'm not saying I've never been hurt, I've broken every bone in both feet, not all at the same time, I like to break one or two at a time just to give myself that extra challenge of walking with high amounts of screaming pain, all because I'm clumsy as crap and have a difficult time not dropping weights right on the top of my foot. That leg day at the gym can go suck a donkey's ass. I'm so used to breaking a damn toe that I just put up with the pain anymore. I broke my wrist in high school because I ride my bike like a bat out of hell and some girl ran in front of me, I hit both brakes learning how Issac Newton got the whole inertia thing correct when I flew over the handle bars. I like to think that I looked like some bad ass martial artist doing a flip on the ground with one hand, but the cast I had said differently. Out of high school I got a job doing construction work and had to tear apart a lot of showers, I learned that first time that there is a sharp metal mesh under that tile holding up the cement attached to said tile. I slipped on some busted up concrete, grabbed the shower faucet, turning on the water and fell back onto that freshly cut metal and sliced my back open. Right down the spine, from ass crack to shoulder blades. I'll tell you what, that hurt like a mother, and bled like a stuck pig too, that left me with a nice Harry Potter style scar down the center of my back. I called a friend of mine to take me to the hospital for it and he said it wasn't that bad so he just used duck tape and gauze I had in my truck to bandage me up. Don't do that kid's, pulling duck tape off is the worst pain I have ever had.
I don't have any tattoos, because I have enough scars. Scars are simply a natural tattoo with a much better story. I once cut my thumb open with a pressure washer because water is a power that people under estimate. That happens to be my favorite scar. Another scar I have is just a little dot on my hand, between the thumb and forefinger on my left hand, and is not easy to spot because it just looks like a freckle. When I was tearing apart another shower, if did that for five or six years because it's a good way to get out aggression and anger, I was using a grinder on a nasty tough bit of tile that just wouldn't allow itself to be removed from its home. The grinder caught, taking a foot long sliver off one tile, and sent that fucker right into my hand, and up the arm. Just under the skin, through the glove that bull-riders wear because nothing goes through those things. Pulling that thing out was the nastiest thing I have done, I looked like Wolverine with a dislocated needle sized claw made of ceramic tile. Just writing that out caused my skin to crawl again. My grandpa once decided that using dog shears on a six year old head would be a good idea since I had needed a haircut and the barber was closed. He didn't know that those shears would heat up that much and a dog's skin is much thicker than a human child's. Hello burn scar on the side of my head.
The one good concussion I have had was also on a demo job, I took a lot of damage to my body for a small amount of money, it was at a condo and for some stupid reason the builders thought that a stairway across from the doorway that headed to the third floor, and just for shits and giggles left the underside open for a “storage area.” I was telling my boss jokes the whole time and had nearly clocked myself on that stairway a few times before and we were having a hoot of a time about how close I had gotten. The final time, Randy, the guy I was working for, said I walked out with two full five gallon buckets of debris and slammed my head right into the timber, at full speed. I staggered backward and fell over the railing into a snowbank two stories below. Luckily the snow was fresh from the night before and a few feet thick so I had a nice soft landing. I do not remember any of that, other than what Randy told me over and over until he passed away a couple years ago. It was a great laugh at the fucking bar, because it was a story of someone else because that memory is just not there. Along with several other parts of my life at nineteen and twenty years old. Bits and pieces are there, like a couple faces I know some how but there are no names or reasons why I know those people are in the flitting memories. It's a pain in the ass. And I miss Randy, he wasn't the best boss I had, and not even close to the worst, but he was a damn fine friend that was always in for a good joke, the raunchier the better. He's the reason I love whiskey, and one reason I no longer drink alcohol, too. He was brash, and could be annoying as hell but was always smiling and could take a lot of jokes aimed right at him. My wit is stronger because of him, he was an easier target than my mom. He loved the song Walkin' 'Round InWomen's Underwear by Bob Rivers, and I try to get it played on the radio stations here at Christmas time, but they all claim it's too offensive to play. Bullshit, it's just a funny song, assholes, and my friend is dead and this request is in memory of him, get your prudish heads out of your asses and play the fucking song! So I just link to it from YouTube and tag him on Facebook, since his page will never go away. I learned a lot from that man, mostly what not to do, but when I have had people work for me, I make sure we have a good laugh or two. And I pay better. May that asshole rest in peace.


You can follow me on Facebook now, it's mostly links back to here but maybe I'll start posting some of those stupid jokes I told Randy, or link to Bob Rivers songs for the hell of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment