Tuesday, November 3, 2015

I have no real title for this. Titles are hard.

For the better part of two decades now, I have played online, fantasy sports, with my family. We have leagues for baseball and football mostly, because soccer (I refuse to call that thing football, I don't care how many billions of people call it that) is boring as hell. Two hours of kicking a ball back and forth in the middle of a field of green lawn is mind blowningly stupid boring, and then people are okay with a tie? A fucking tie? Win, or win not, there is no tie. Or crying in baseball. Shit, get it together sports world. And then there's hockey. Hockey is nothing more than soccer played on frozen water, but with the occasional beating between two grown men, that are undressing each other just to commit assault, and then that beating never happens because taking off all that gear just wears them out to the point that neither of them can land a blow. But then they bro hug it out, go sit in a corner for a couple minutes and then come back to the game. I don't watch NASCAR for the same reason, boredom, watching people drive a car at two hundred miles per hour would be better if it wasn't always a left turn, and crashes were mandatory. I used to have a NASCAR game on my computer and after ten minutes of “driving” I'd get bored and turn that bad boy around to see how many cars I could demolish in one spectacular wreck. I'm sure a real fan would be annoyed with my concept of getting bored playing that stupid game, but turn on real looking wreckage and car parts just scatter across the road. It was great, and probably why people think I'm a bit on the psychotic side of the sociopath scale, to which I answer, why do you go shooting pixalated images of human beings, huh, Mr. High-and-mighty? At least I was reenacting Blood on the Asphalt from driver's training, not making making a character explode while after running through a hallway that had been deliberately set up with landmines and I just happen to use a rocket launch from a good spot perched above where I could see to launch that rocket at perfect timing because some little twelve year old bastard asshole called me a wanking twat in a southern accent after he owned me in the previous battle to teabag my character. The little shit never saw that attack coming, don't give an adult time to set up elaborate traps, when you can be learning how to use swear words correctly.
Being a nerd, or geek, which ever one deals with number and stats and shit, I can't remember what separates the two anymore, as they both get beat on by people bigger than them, I enjoy fantasy sports because it's much, much like playing a quick game of D&D without the effort of dice rolling. D&D is nothing more than stats that are used to progress a story, fantasy sports are nothing but stats, to use as bragging rights against someone else because you know how to pick an athlete better than them. Horse racing, I view as the same thing, but with even less skill involved, and maybe more broken knuckles at the end of the week. My family is big into sports, and thus we have become part of the fantasy sports crap that has now taken over the sporting world. We don't play for money, just those bragging rights. And we hardly ever break any knuckles, chairs yes, but that has nothing to do with fantasy sports. I didn't really care about football or baseball when I was a kid, I'd sit and watch a game or two with my dad, mostly because someone else was on the computer and the TV was occupied so I couldn't play any of my video games. But when my dad started a fantasy football league, I joined just to keep him from whining about how no one watched sports with him. I joined out of pity. And then I got hooked on it. My dad had been trying for years to get my interest in sports, he bought a few baseball games for me, and Madden football, hoping that I would sucker me into his world. The first season of football I watched, I knew all the stats I needed so I could win. It didn't work, because I was stupid and didn't know enough. My family was not prepared for my training. I went and bought the newest Madden game, and played for days through the franchise mode. In that game I made a player called Fatty McFatass, he was the shortest you could get, under five feet tall, and he weighted well over four hundred pounds, which was the heaviest you could get the player to be. If this guy was real, he would have burned off all those pounds with in a couple games or died on the field when his heart said it had had enough and launched itself from his chest, which would have made him “probable” for in the next half of the game. And he simply existed for my own sadistic amusement. Try not laughing at a short fat man running down a field carrying a football. But, I learned everything I needed out of that game for a good draft, and then who the new rookies were for my next attempted foray into the world of fantasy football. All from a damn video game. That's right, video games taught me something, I laugh at all those parents that said this wasn't possible and video games only rot your brain. I also bolstered this new found knowledge with Wikipedia and all the rules of the game. Pretty soon I was talking about shit that happened in a real game while watching, than the rest of my family knew or understood, and they had been paying attention for years. I kicked the crap out of everyone that was playing in our family league. It was a good times for this nerd.
Baseball was something different though, I have always liked baseball, and dreamed one day I would play professionally. Not Major League, World Series winning, kind of professionally. I kept my dreams more grounded, like playing single A farm club type play in a small Midwestern town where I could end up selling cars during the off season, that maybe got called up to the big league for a game in my entire career, and then after retirement, open a bar and brag to all the customers how I used to play “pro ball,” kind of professional ball player. I was always really good swinging the bat, I've always been stronger than I look, and quicker than what some fat kid should be allowed. But the dream was dashed when I was told that I needed to have been playing as a kid on a team in a league. Sure, whatever, I've heard about those undrafted players that just walked into a camp and then got signed to a team because they had potential, I'm looking at you Wesley Snipes's character, Willy Mays Hayes, from Major League. So fine, most professional players have been in the game since they were eight years old, and have practiced hitting thousands and thousands of baseballs and throwing millions of them to each other of the same amount of time. I'll just go back to my fantasy leagues and video games, looks like I'll be making another Fatty McFatass with the next Madden game.

No comments:

Post a Comment